Previous posts

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Love the library? See what guest blogger Whitney has to say...

Hi, I’m Whitney from Sunshine Marigold.  I am so happy to share my thoughts with you here at R&G Photography's blog.  Now that I’m out of college most of my thoughts dwell on my job, which you might guess is working at a library! Because I of this I am able to see first-hand the asset a local library can be to its community.  My advice to you, get involved in your local library! Let them serve you (that’s what we are here to do!)   
Because I work in the Children’s department, most of my experience is children’s programming. But there are more programs that the whole family can enjoy! Let me share with you some of my favorite reasons to visit your local library!
  1. It’s free! Materials to borrow, programs, public workshops and classes, internet access, friendly faces. All these things and more are waiting for you!
  2. Summer reading program. Most libraries put on a summer reading program. Ours is separated for children, teens, and adults. The time that parents spend reading to their kids counts towards the parents’ reading log hours as well!  It’s a great way to finally getting around to reading that book you’ve thought about or an excuse to download a new one to your Kindle! Most of the programs for kids offer great incentive for reading. Kids won’t want to stop. Our library partners with local businesses for free food coupons and prize donations. If your library doesn’t offer a summer reading program, ask them to! If they know what the public wants, hopefully they can work towards making it happen.
  3. Story time! I don’t see how any parent could object to the fun a library story time brings! Check and see what your library offers.  For younger children, story time encourages independent listening and gets them accustomed to being in an organized, much like what they will experience in school.  And who wouldn’t have a good time watching a crazy librarian dress up, do funny voices, sing, and dance?
  4. Community. For many places, the local library is the community hub. Community information is often posted.  Local clubs and organizations sometimes meet there. Parents are able to connect to other parents with children of the same age. I have heard often of mothers meeting one another and scheduling play dates with their kids. It makes it much easier to meet people if you are new in town. Just go to the hub!
I’m glad you stopped in.  And don’t hesitate to stop in and see what your library has to offer. The world is at your fingertips!

Be sure to follow Whitney and the Sunshine Marigold on facebook (Lovelies by Miss Whit), twitter (@sunshinewhitney), and on her blog (The Sunshiny Day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment