Previous posts

Friday, April 22, 2011

Seeing God in the Tragedy

Frantically, my father-in-law grabbed his wife and they stepped out just in time not to be crushed by the tree that would soon take their home.  Sitting in their truck during the remainder of the storm - Shirley (my mother in law) called my husband and I, but cell towers were out - and all I could hear was my mother in law crying, "Disaster... hole in the wall... it's horrible... ..."  Unsure of what had happened or if everyone was okay - I ran to the basement to take shelter & called my parents.. they got a hold of Garren's parents & relayed the jumbled mess to me.  We left immediately.

When we got there is was much worse than we had anticipated.  The tree had landed on the home and crashed through the bed where not minutes before Roger (my father in law) was sleeping.  Thank God he heard it coming and ran - or he would not have survived.  Both Roger and Shirley are untouched by the storm, but after watching their house be destroyed by the storm - they were very shook up.  Garren and I brought them back to our house to stay - since they didn't have a home to return to.  We discussed what should be the next step and spent a very restless night anticipating the next day. 



We still don't know all the details for sure, but most likely the entire home will be demolished & they we have to rebuild from scratch.  State Farm insurance should cover the expenses.  Hallelujah for insurance. They have paid into it for 30+ years.. the definitely deserve to be taken care of.

Please pray for them and remember you never know what could happen - be prepared.  (Scout's motto :))

After going through all this - this song by Santus Real really touched me - heard it yesterday on our local Christian radio station WIBI.  You can listen to WIBI on-line, even if you're not in IL!

Thanks for the prayers & kindness,
Rachel
xo

3 comments:

  1. that tree is so big, it makes the house look like a doll house! good post btw. they are lucky to be able to rely on such a strong daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you Rachel for stepping up to the plate and helping them in every and any way you can. That's my girl! I love you and are so very thankful you are able to be there for them. God has blessed us with a wonderful daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete