Previous posts

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Who doesn't love a good prop!?

Please welcome our guest blogger this week Gabby Orcutt of Monroe Files Photography!  Her and I have a LOT in common when it comes to props - I think you will enjoy this!




I LOVE props! Props can make or break a great image. You just have to know when to use them correctly. Today I'm going to focus on prop inspiration. If anyone knows me well, they know I can't walk through any store without eying items and questioning whether or not a newborn would fit in this or that item or finding matching hats for twins and the list goes on and on! Talk about having photography on the brain!




Here are a few of my favorite places to find props. The more unique the better in my opinion!



Ross Dress for Less. You NEVER know what you are going to find! It's the ultimate yard sale. The price is almost always right and if you pass it up you can bet it won't be there the next time you come back! The hat boxes are the cutest, they have great soft squishy blankets for newborns and the lawn ornaments make cute props for the non-baby crowd. I recently found a plastic fruit bowl that looks like a cabbage leaf. SO cute!!



Lowe's. Seriously, you can find the cutest props at Lowe's! I walked through there last night and they have all of their lawn and garden decorations out. Flower pots that look like tea cups, mushrooms, adarondack chairs that hold a planter...my favorite was a kid sized wheel borrow! Put a brown fuzzy blanket in there and hang a pair of garden gloves off on side and stick a baby in there...talk about adorable! Around Christmas time I found a cute little newborn santa hat with matching bib.



Yard sales. I have found wooden bassinetts, high chairs and numerous other items at yardsales. Price is usually pretty cheap and you can always paint the items to meet your specific style. I have a wooden high chair that needs sanded and painted to use for cake smashes and a small wooden cradle that needs some TLC before a newborn will snuggle up in it.



Antique shops ALWAYS have extremely unique pieces but you will also pay for it. Shop wisely when visiting antique shops. See if you can't make some of the wooden pieces yourself or have a friend make it for you.



Goodwill and other second hand shops you can find props but please be make sure everything cleans up well and is disinfected!



I hope this got your prop wheels turning! I'd love to hear what goodies you find!


Gabby Orcutt


Monroe Files Photography

DuBois, PA

814.762.4737

monroefilesphotograhy@gmail.com

http://www.monroefilesphotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment